US DHS Starts Accepting Work Permit

US DHS Starts Accepting Work Permit Applications from H4 Visa Holders

As announced earlier by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), the Department of Homeland Security has started accepting work permit applications on May 26 from H4 visa holders.

So far the spouses of H-1B non-immigrant visa holders, in the US on H4 visas, were not allowed to take employment in the country. But making an amendment to the rule, USCIS announced in February this year that Employment Authorization Cards (EAD) will be issued to certain H4 visa holders.

Spouses of H-1B visa holders whose immigrant visa petition is approved, and those with visa extension of more than 6-years from the date of arrival in the US are eligible to apply for Employment Authorization.

Beneficiaries applying for EAD must submit form I-765, supporting documents and a fee of $360. The applications will be processed within 90 days.

As many as 179,600 beneficiaries would be issued EAD in 2015 and 55,000 annually from next year.

Posted in:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *